Saturday, January 31, 2009

Let there be light...or dark...or light...or dark...

I know ya'll have been sitting on pins and needles waiting for my next post in the continuing storm saga. If you didn't read the previous post you might want to catch up. And again I must issue a winter whine warning.

Friday-6am wake up to see if kids have school. They don't. Decide to go get blood drawn for a Wellness program. I've waited till the deadline and now risk my life, traveling on bad roads and high winds to make it into town. I get to the health center and am told that they have extended the deadline by two weeks. I could have stayed safe at home. Oh well, I can't think of anything better to do than to have a needle stuck in my arm at 6:30 in the morning, anyway.

7Am- since I'm already in town, I decide to get groceries. I fear revolt if my family is forced to eat pizza one more time this week. Have you ever pushed a grocery cart across a slush and ice pond? I have.

9AM- I haven't brought the groceries in from the car yet which is a good thing because - you guessed it- our electricity flickers and then goes out AGAIN!

9:30- the z-man is bored. He has over 100 degree temperature and hasn't felt well for 5 days now. We have no tv or videogames to keep him entertained. It's going to be a very long day.

2pm- the girls leave for basketball games. THis is a pet peeve of mine. I think all sports and extracurricular activities should be cancelled when school is cancelled due to weather. But then again, I'm a slacker mom. I cheer when any extracurricular activity is cancelled.
My oldest makes plans to leave the Amish island that is now our home and stay the night with a friend who actually has electricity. I'm stuck home with fever boy.

5:30pm- I spot the electrice truck! I pray HARD that the electric guy can fix the problem.

5:45- Do you hear that? The sound of angels singing? That's the sound I hear as the electricity is restored to our home. I think about running out and giving the electric guy a big kiss - who am I kidding - it's COLD out there. I pray that he'll keep safe. Prayers are better than kisses any day.

5:46 - Sponge Bob is blaring on the TV. Life is back to normal.

Did I mention that my husband has been at a conference in Columbus since Thursday night? Yep, he's had two whole nights alone in a nice, quiet hotel. The Z-man takes advantage of the opening in my bed. I got to sleep two whole nights with the germinator.

No comments: