Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'ts the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


Wow- it's been a looong time since I posted. I guess that's what happens when you have 4 kids home for summer. It's been three months of a constant trail of 10 year old neighborhood boys through the house ( I've tried to make my house not child friendly, but alas, they all seem to want to gather here), constant running my teenagers around ( none can drive yet- which is probably a good thing), and THE FOOD! Oy, WITH ALL THE FOOD, ALREADY! It's amazing how much food teenagers consume- especially since they don't wake up till almost noon and then drape themselves over a chair most of the rest of the day- I mean, how many calories can they need? THEY BARELY MOVE!

A few weeks ago, I was still enjoying summer - no homework, no schedules, no grumpy early mornings. BUT THEN, the kids got bored and started turning on each other. They reverted to 3 year old sharing tactics( ie NOT sharing) and pushing each other's buttons for their own entertainment. And I started to REALLY NEED SOME ALONE TIME! I would have given a kidney for an hour of silence.

So today- I celebrate. The annual migration of kids from the couch to the classroom. I have 7 WHOLE HOURS of silence, peace and peanut butter free countertops. The house is, once again, my domain. Even the dog seems happier.

Happy New School Year to Mom's Everwhere!

1 comment:

reagan said...

Amen sister! I completely know how you feel! My nephew (18) and a frequent extra son in my household, helps my still at home teenaged son empty the fridge on a regular basis. We jokingly tell him we will just label one of the drawers with his name! The complete and utter silence today is music to my ears:-)
hugs,
Pam